Thursday

Pickled Jalapenos

I was making nachos today and wanted to put jalapenos on it but we only had fresh ones. I know fresh is always better but for nachos I liked using the pickled jalapenos you buy at the store. It just makes nachos more authentic. So I thought can't I just make pickled jalapenos myself? Since I made pickles (I was so easy, see my other previous post). I went online to see what I needed to use to make pickled jalapenos. It is very similar to making pickles but the recipe I found uses bay leaves. You first cut your jalapenos into 1/4" rounds (you can leave whole if you like), then steep the pickling mixture on the stove for 5 minutes then place in a glass jar with the sliced jalapenos. The recipe I used says to wait one week. I already see the jalapenos changing into the dark green color like the store bought ones. I am excited to try them. If these taste just like the store bought I will soon be making my homemade pickled jalapenos for all my nacho and Mexican dishes or to just spice up any dish. Recipe below.

Pickled Jalapeños
Adapted from Michael Symon’s Live to Cook by Michael Symon and Michael Ruhlman.

Ingredients:
1 pound (450g) fresh jalapeno peppers, washed and sliced into 1/4" rounds (see Note)
2 1/2 cups (625ml) water
2 1/2 cups (625ml) vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons coarse salt, such as kosher
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons black peppercorns

Directions:
1. Cut each jalapeno into 1/4" round slices (take out some of the seeds and veins, to make less spicy) with a sharp paring knife and place them in a large glass preserving jar.

2. In a non-reactive saucepan, bring the other ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.

3. Remove from heat and pour the brine over the peppers. Place the lid on the jar and let cool. Once cool, refrigerate for at least a week before using, if possible. (You can use them sooner, but Michael says they’re worth the wait.)

Serve with Mexican dishes, or remove the seeds then chop and use to season any recipe that is improved by a little bit of sweet heat.

Storage: I’ve kept pickles like this for up to a few weeks, under refrigeration, without any problems. But like anything preserved, you should take precautions.

Note: You can use another chile pepper in place of the jalpeños.

No comments: